Toenail fungus can be icky and smelly, so we do our best to protect our feet. These fungi that cause toenail fungus like warm, moist places, so we must do our best to keep our feet dry.
However, we can’t prevent the occasional soak if we get caught in a sudden shower, so when we go home, we have to take a shower immediately and dry our bodies.
Do not forget to dry your shoes as well, because they can be a hotbed for all sorts of fungi if we use them and these can infect our feet.
What Are The Symptoms of Nail Fungus?
When a fungus has chosen our feet as its latest home, the toenail infected looks thicker than it normally does. The shape also becomes distorted and it can flake off, become brittle, crumble and break apart.
Worse, there are cases of the nail falling off the nail bed and that’s not just painful. It can make matters worse because dirt can enter.
Homemade Treatments for Nail Fungus
- Combine two parts warm water with one part vinegar and soak your feet in it. This will stop the bacteria from spreading and stop the infection from worsening.
- Pour some apple cider vinegar onto a washcloth and rub it between your toes. This can remove the scales and dead skin as well as relieve the itch.
- Tinctures, ointments and creams made from calendula which is diluted in warm water have astringent and healing properties which can be used as anti-fungal treatments. Use this twice a day.
- A cup of chamomile tea three times a day and application of the same tea directly onto the affected toenail also three times a day can soothe the affected part.
- One of the best herbal antifungal remedies is garlic. Put a raw garlic in the blender and apply it to the infected toenail three times a day. Or you can take six teaspoons of garlic every day. You can also dust your feet and shoes with garlic powder. The antifungal properties of garlic have been documented in clinical studies which had people taking garlic. The fungal activity in their bodies lessened when their blood serum showed high amounts of garlic.
- Tea made from two ounces of ginger root contains twenty kinds of antifungal compounds. Drink this three times a day, and you can make compresses out of the excess. Apply this to the affected area for five minutes three times a day.
- Another good antifungal agent is goldenseal. Add 5 drops of this tincture to any juice and drink it three times a day. You can also simmer six teaspoons of the dried herb in a cup of water to make tea. Apply this to the infected area directly, too.
Don’t let your feet stay wet and don’t wear shoes until they are completely dry. Take a shower immediately after getting caught in the rain or after you use a swimming pool or public bath.